African Adventures

NEW BLOG:

www.fulfillingthepurpose.blogspot.com

Sunday, December 19, 2010

CLiCK CLiCK! Then off to Eden's Garden...

07/24/07
It was super super hot outside today and I loved it. First we had breakfast then walked with our Hadza friends to their tribal area. Then we watched Sigwaz kill a Rock Hyrax and we all ate it later.
Sigwaz shoting the Rock Hyrax with his homemade wooden bow&arrow
In order to cook the Rock Hyrax, we had to start a fire- which Sigwaz showed me how to to do without matches. Awesome! 
Starting the fire!
There is the Rock Hyrax cooking in the fire I started-- fur and all!
We got to climb a Baobab tree today! It was easier than it sounds...they put little wood pegs in there for us Muzungos
Almost there...

I MADE IT!
 Then we got some honey from sting-less bees (the best honey I have ever had). The Hadza use honey to trade with other local tribes in the area.



A member of the tribe found this and climbed the tree to get some.
After lunch we made some awesome arrows with the tribe. Mine ended up getting taken in customs coming back to the U.S. even though I claimed it :(




Testing out my archery skills with my new arrow!
We tried Impala stew with Ugali for dinner and it was amazing! Yummy! Oh and I ate cooked and uncooked roots with the Hadza women. They tasted like dirt.  
 The "click click" language is called Hadzane. The language is said to be "un-writable" because it has clicks which you cannot write, but, Sigwaz wrote like a ton of words in Monica's journal after we danced and sang with them.

Hadza tribes men showing us how to get down!

Monica and I joined in the dancing festivities.
 07/25/07
Sigwaz and I saying goodbye!
Today we left the Hadza tribe :( but not as quickly as we thought…our car wouldn’t start so the Hadza men pushed us to try to pop it into gear but that didn’t work. So then Killer fixed some stuff and it was all good.
They don't have "smog tests" in TZ, thats for sure!
Sigwaz asked for my email so I gave it to him - I will be surprised if he emails me. We drove all day to the Ngorongoro Crater. (aka 8th wonder of the world) its also called “the garden of Eden." 
Killer bought us sugar cane from the side of the road! It was yummy!

Ella, Mon, Carson, me and Melissa at the Ngorongoro Head Office
(kind of like check in for visiters)
Ngorongoro Crater :)
The campsite was filthy crowded and smelly. Way too many people.

 07/26/07
Today so far… we went to the inside of the crater and woke up at 4:30am. Absolutely stunningly beautiful! We saw hippos and hen a million other animals that we had already seen. Then while leaving Alex and Killer had to help out a vehicle that was stuck. They pretty much saved their lives. Jo=Come 

Hippos!

It was very, very cold.

rolling hills in the crater

Zebra! My favorite!

A mother and her two cubs.

Alex and Killer saving the day!
 Now we are on our way to go home to Moshono.

Mon, Killer, T-Bone!
** This is where my journal ends. The rest of the blog is from my memories **



No comments:

Post a Comment